Wednesday, May 11, 2005

When stars get in your eyes

So I'm cruising the celeblog at Huffington Report today and who do I find but Paul Krassner, my cyberacquaintance from a couple of discussion lists. I knew he was a cool guy from the 60s but who knew he still such a big star? I don't keep track of these things.

He comes out of the gate with a great opening post.
Kurt Vonnegut, my favorite Luddite, occasionally sends something my way via snail-mail. For example, his idea for a bumper sticker: “Your Planet’s Immune System Is Trying to Get Rid of You.” So I’m taking the liberty of sharing his latest thought-provoking missive here in cyberspace:

Dearest Iraq: Act like me. After 100 years of democracy, let your slaves go. After 150, let your women vote. At the start of democracy, ethnic cleansing is quite OK. Love you madly! Uncle Sam

It figures he would be a friend of Vonnegut who is also my favorite Luddite. He was living ten miles away from me for years and I never got to meet him. I did see him in lovely downtown Noho once but I'm not one to do the starstruck thing.

We made eye contact, and in a long moment we both knew I recognized him and he clearly appreciated that I would let him get on with his errands without stopping him on the sidewalk. I always hoped I would eventually end up at a cocktail party with him though. Unforunately it never happened.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home