Monday, May 23, 2005

Who says liberals don't have a sense of humor?

The Huffington Post has been under the blogoscope ever since it's much ballyhooed launch. Already it's inspired that sincerest form of flattery - a parody site. It hasn't been perfect. Arianna's biggest sin so far has been hot linking to graphics from other blogs.

Now I was guilty of this as well in the beginning of my blogging career. I didn't have a clue about bandwidth then and had no idea it cost the originator money nor did I know how to host my own graphics. However, you would think that Arianna has some kind of computer geek putting together that side of the Post. Whoever it is should certainly have known that it was bad etiquette.

The Huff's second deadly sin just surfaced. Considering the amount of scrutiny the site has undergone, I'm surprised it took so long. This one however was no mistake. Aaron "the Liberal Slayer" at Aaron's cc:, (and you have to love the graphic if you loved the Fantastic Four), uncovered a nefarious plot to misdirect blogger traffic.

I was wondering why Arianna had so many links to right wing blogs on the roll. It seems they don't exactly link to the advertised blogs. Aaron discovers:

The links on the page may seem to be benign, but the reality is a bit different and may offend some of the better-known members of the Blogosphere:



Asparagirl
Tim Blair
Steven Den Beste
Ken Layne
James Lileks
Megan McArdle
Paul Palubicki
Protein Wisdom
Eric Raymond
Glenn Reynolds
Concerned About Privacy
Matt Welch
Pejman Yousefzadeh

I take issue with the link to retard. I know this is a term bandied about loosely among young overwrought college kids in forums, but having known three families with Mongoloid children, I find it offensive when it's used as a pejorative.

Otherwise, I think it's a brilliant joke. Some of them made laugh out loud. I especially love Glenn's link. I was always a big fan of Tennessee Tuxedo as a kid.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home