Saturday, July 30, 2005

Lies or inaccurate information?

Don Surber checks into comments on this post to disagree with my position. He says, "No investigative reporters do not lie. Sorry. They investigate."

I have to differ, particularly in this case. I'm the last one to defend dishonesty, but at a time when undercover police routinely mix into student bodies in order to effect small time drug busts, I don't see how you can expect a 17 year old kid to make a moral judgment about conducting a sting investigation.

The cop is lying by Don's standard and yet he is praised for exposing a crime. The teenager is criticized for emulating authority figures and effectively doing the same thing. What's the difference? One could argue any such operation requires a disguise.

Sorry, but the kid exposed a serious breach of ethics in our military recruiting practices that you can be certain is being played out across America, even in West Virginia. I can't think of another way he could have accomplished it and he documented his work meticulously.

My praise stands. We owe him a debt of thanks for exposing a corrupt practice.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home