Monday, August 22, 2005

Blog like a conservative day

For regular readers who wonder whether they had landed in the twilight zone or whether I had developed multiple personalities overnight - not to worry. I joined in a sort of protest blog swarm today. We all blogged in a conservative's style and then linked with each other. I had way too much fun with it. It's so easy to blog when you're just pushing partisan points instead of trying to put up reasoned analysis on the facts.

It was wonderfully cathartic. A perfect outlet for pent up outrage over years of unfair criticism. I may do it again on my own once in a while, when I run across a particularly egregious post.

Anyway how do you think I did and can you guess who I was channeling? I'll give you a hint. This first one is a person I only did once. On the rest of the posts above it, I took the easy way out. They're all nationally known bloggers.

Thanks to Jesse at Pandagon for organizing and to Roxanne, Mark at Loaded Mouth (and yeah I somehow felt dirty too), Adam Jacob Muller, Science and Politics and Liberal Pen Pal for linking to me.

And now, with one last link to Amanda's conservative day posts at Pandagon, we will be returning to our customary fact-based analysis and comments are reactivated. Actually I never turned them off. I didn't expect to be counter-swarmed. What could they say when I'm using their own words?
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Steven M. Couch said...

For regular readers who wonder whether they had landed in the twilight zone or whether I had developed multiple personalities overnight - not to worry.

Well, as concerns the first post, I would not say "developed multiple personalities overnight," as much as "engaged in a little BWI - Blogging While Intoxicated," itself not necessarily a bad thing. Anyway you cut it, I was confused beyond belief for much of the day.

While, upon further reflection, "Blog like a Conservative Day" does have some ironic undertones given some of the big-name righties in the blogosphere, I would have been more apt to call it "Blog like a Self-Righteous Prig Day." Now that's a blogging scourge that transcends ideology.

3:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point Steven. There are some on our side of the fence as well, but one less since Hitchens crossed over. ;-)

3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Steven M. Couch said...

One thing I will say for Hitchens (though his apparently deep-seeded disdain for the Catholic Church probably does not fix him so firmly on the right) is that he's provocative. While I am not a regular reader of his work, from what I have read I probably agree with what he writes as often as not -- both reactions usually result from a single piece. That said, he is about the only writer for whom I go out of my way to read Slate. In my book, that has to count for something.

4:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a great writer. I read him as well Steven, but you can't deny that he fits the bill of self-righteous prig, especially if you've seen him on TV.

4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Steven M. Couch said...

Allowing for the fact that he is more articulate than most such prigs, I can't disagree with you as a general matter. I merely wished to disclaim him as occupying a place on "this side of the fence;" I suspect he uprooted a section of the fence long ago to ease his transit back and forth.

As television goes, though, I have not seen him (save the recent Ron Reagan encounter), but I would probably make an allowance or two given my presumptively low opinion of most prime-time talking heads (e.g, Ron Reagan, O'Reilly, etc.).

4:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home