Thursday, September 29, 2005

Judy's back in town

So what does it all mean? Judy's been sprung and the NYT already tattled that her source was Scooter. Like we didn't already figure that out months ago? She sat three months in jail for this? Anyway, didn't he already release her before she went into the slammer?

I note the careful wording of her statement, stressing the receipt of a voluntary and uncoerced release, as if to imply she was doing something noble, but it all feels contrived to me. It makes me nervous. Maybe I've just been burned so many times I'm afraid to get my hopes up but it smells like a fix.

It's almost too easy you know. Frist and DeLay going down in the same week, Abramhoff already all but gone, and now Judy is going to break open the Traitorgate? It smacks of Rovian shock and awe. If Rove gets off clean, I'm going to be really pissed.

On the other hand, if I'm just being paranoid and Rove gets swept up with the rest of the rats, this could really be the end of the unholy Trinity of Rove, Bush and Cheney and their regime of terror. The horror story would be over and we could all live happily ever after. Wouldn't that be great?

Update: Digby has some thoughts that ease my fears.
She has no idea what he knows. She would be an idiot to lie.

One other thing to keep in mind. For those of us who are looking for him to broaden the scope of this investigation and look into a larger set of issues surrounding the Iraq lies, if Fitzgerald hands down indictments it is only a first step. Indictments tend to focus the mind, I would think. Perhaps some people will have more to say when they are faced with serious legal trouble.

And it would certainly explain the dismal political performance of the white house lately if high level advisors have been too busy negotiating plea bargains for themselves to keep a close eye on Junior.
The Heretik has the headline of the day and also voices my greatest fear.
Is Libby falling on his sword, so the investigation stops with him?
I've been predicting that from the beginning. It strikes me as the only way out for the unholy three.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home