Wednesday, November 29, 2006

GOP's nightmare -- Webb in 08

I'm loving me some Jim Webb. If the Dems were smart they would be polishing this diamond in the rough for 08. Forget, Hillary and Obama. They're too slick and too establishment to win in the general election. Webb is fresh and he bows to no one. This exchange with Bush at a presidential reception says it all.
"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.
It's this kind of in your face independence that will win over swing voters and even woo the redneck Republicans who appreciate brass balls. Of course, the diehard Bush loyalists are already screaming about the new Bush hater, echoing in all seriousness Glenn Greenwald's facetious question, "How dare Jim Webb not answer the Leader's question exactly as it was asked." But the true believers are an ever shrinking group and there's a lot of disgruntled Republicans that are sick of slick professional politicians.

While you're over at Glenn's place, check out his thoughts in that mixed post on the latest kerfluffle over Keith Ellison's request to take the oath of office on the Koran instead of the Bible, since he is after all a Muslim and that is the book he holds holy. I'm not even going to remark on it myself, since Glenn has already said everything worth saying and he has the stomach to link to the wingnuts predictable railing that this spells the end of democracy and is ushering in Sharia law, or some nonsense like that.
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do wonder. . .

I don't believe in God - at least not in the 'established' sense. What, then, is my oath worth if I swear on the Bible?

Doesn't that simple act of dishonesty negate the very oath I'm making?

This really does bother me, because what if I'm someday called to testify in court?

I can't in good conscience swear an oath on a book like that. My word is my oath. What's a civic-minded honest girl to do?

3:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jim webb rules. the right wing radio world was in hysterics over this which just added to the awesomeness

3:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, thanks for sharing!

4:02:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's an interesting question Bronwyn. I don't really have an easy answer.

Lester, I'm liking the guy more every time I see him.

Romunov. Your're welcome and nice to see you.

5:51:00 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Another senator elect bugged another Bush - Wellstone and Poppy in 1991.
Webb better watch out for himself.

9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Yikes nolo. That's a scary thought.

10:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home