Friday, November 17, 2006

Pelosi's folly

As the NYT notes in today's editorial, Nancy Pelosi is off to a rocky start. I find it incomprehensible myself that the Democratic Party would think it wise to come of the gate battling over how to distribute their new power. It simply smacks of politics as usual, which is not why the electorate returned them to power.

I mean for Pete's sake, they have until January to figure out who gets what plum assignment. It would have been far more constructive for them to come out united against the power plays that the president and his GOP Congress are planning to pull off in their remaining days. For instance Bush has just renominated six of his worst candidates for federal judgeships. But that didn't make the headlines because the press was too busy covering the intercine battles within the party.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this spells the doom of the Party, it will pass, but the Democrats promised a new beginning. Playing the same old game of intra-party political payoffs is step backward, not forward. If Pelosi had demonstrated the good sense to hold back on the distribution of appointments, the focus would have been on Trent Lott and not John Murtha. That plays into Rove's hands, not to the benefit of the common good of the party or the people.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is just sort of a knee jerk reaction from the FOX dominated GOP years. I mean, we are so used to having 24 hour punditry that we make stories out of nothing. the person she wanted didn't win. this is not exactly watergate

I can't wait till the democrats get rolling so I can fully and completely leave the political scene forever. the war against bush needs to be one, but after that we nee to pick up where we left of in 99: not giving a shit about politics. that's where i was at least

5:20:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I wish I was as optimistic as you Lester. I don't think the Dems are really going to solve anything and the fight in 08 will be against all incumbents. But I'm holding my judgements until they get rolling.

6:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home