Thursday, January 18, 2007

Materialistic Conservatives

Bob Burnett has a good post up at the HuffPo on the President's materialistic conservatism. I like that phrase. It really sums up what I find wrong with what passes for conservative ideology these days. I'll give you the money graf.
President Bush and conservatives, in general, don't like to talk about real sacrifice. They prefer to pretend that Americans can have it all: wage an expensive "war" on terror and continue to run a deficit economy fueled by tax cuts; enjoy artificially priced gasoline and ignore global climate change. They are materialists who prefer to focus on the present: argue that tomorrow is another day, and until then, personal sacrifice is unnecessary.
I think that sums it up really well. As I just said the other day, if I wanted Scarlett O'Hara to run the country, I would have voted for her.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger MR said...

yeah, it's a joke, really. like bill clinton has said, the biggest 'sacrifice' wealthy people like him have had to make while the country fights two wars simultaneously, has been the walk to their mailboxes to cash their tax cut checks. two more years, then, thankfully, good riddance. BTW, I've added you to my blog roll--great site!!
www.minor-ripper.blogspot.com

12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Minor Ripper. I love yours too and you're on my roll as soon as I have a moment to work on it. This working for a living really sucks. Takes up too much blogging time.

3:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home