Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Althouse gets unhinged over breasts

I haven't done a blog gossip post in a while but Scott Lemieux hooked me on this one. I do usually try to stay out of these things but since I so rarely watch TV, this is the first time I've ever seen Ann Althouse in person and it struck me as funny and worth remarking on briefly.

If you don't know the context of the breast brouhaha in question, the short version is that Ann literally attacked a feminist blogger for daring to appear in a photo with Bill Clinton without leaving her breasts at home. It generated a predictable link from Insty -- which was clearly Ann's goal in the matter -- but also unleashed a vigorous defense of the blogger in question and her right to wear her breasts in public. I don't really blame Ann for being sensitive about the issue. Her lame defense of her remarks would have been embarassing to a thirteen year old, much less a tenured law professor.

Her response in this video segment to a passing reference to the kerfluffle is no less embarassing. It reminded me of nothing so much as myself as a teenager when confronted by my mother over smoking cigarettes. It was like a reenactment of the moment, right down to the over-bleached hair. We both used same imperious and completely false self-righteous indigination in refuting the facts. I asked my mom, who she was going to believe - her own daughter or some gossip-mongering neighbor who was obviously jealous that I was such an outstanding kid.

Amazingly my mother bought it, even though it was probably the third or fourth time I had been caught. Unfortunately for Ann, the Blogtopians aren't as gullible as my mom and her own archives disprove her own spin. Methinks, Ms. Althouse doth protest too much.

Meanwhile, if you can't access the video, Orcinus kindly provides a transcript but it's not nearly as amusing without the hair-tossing.

UPDATE: Shakes has the definitive answer to Ann's whining query about why we don't like her and manages to redefine liberals in the new age as modern conservatives. Brilliant post. It's the must read of the day.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger jules_siegel said...

I actually followed the links.

I bet she even wore lipstick and nail polish, the hussy.

2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hilarious in a sad way, isn't it?

3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa McEwan said...

Thanks for the mad props, Libby! ;-)

7:00:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Shakes, thank you for the brilliant post. I feel like a pale shadow in the light of your eloquence.

7:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home