Thursday, June 21, 2007

Learning to love Andrew Sullivan

By Libby

Sometimes it's hard to believe how much I loathed Andrew Sullivan before he left the dark side. Of all the conservatives who disavowed the Bush Doctrine, he often strikes me now as the most sincere and not just because he was a early deserter. It's the quality of his discourse.

He gets quote of the day from this post reviewing Glenn Greenwald's latest book.
America has exchanged some if its basic freedoms for the patina of phony security - and so easily. The Republican party, to its historic shame, has been the main vehicle for the replacement of doubt, empiricism and calm judgment with certainty, fundamentalism and raw force. We have terrible enemies abroad, seeking to destroy our way of life. But this truth should never blind us to the danger within as well. Al Qaeda can only give us death. It is up to us to surrender the liberty they despise. In so many ways, we already have.

It's not it hasn't been said before in many ways, by many people including myself, it's that he says it so well.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Martin said...

As you may have noticed by some of my posts, I do like Sully.
I even liked him before he saw the light. He is not a knee-jerk right-wing shithead.

5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

He used to strike me as a knee jerk shit head Jim but that was then and this is now. I have to admit I started warming up to him when I found out he's a good friend of a dear friend's brother.

7:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home