Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bush balances budget on backs of the elderly

By Libby

So let me get this straight. We're in a health care crisis in this country. Almost 50 million Americans can't afford health insurance and Bush recently told us that it's not a problem because anyone can go to the ER for critical care. We'll leave aside that this still leaves millions without the ability to get preventive care that would keep them out of the ER in the first place.

Now comes Bush with his budget proposal designed to cure the deficit he created by 2012 and how does he propose to do that? Our compassionate conservative came up with the brilliant plan to cut billions in spending from the two programs that assist those who have to rely on near death experiences in the ER for their health care, namely Medicare and Medicaid.

The cuts won't be made to corporate welfare payments to private insurers who offer overpriced supplemental plans. No, he wants to slice the guts out of the safety net that the poor literally rely on to stay alive. He proposes to kill Medicare by cutting already inadequate reimbursements further.
Most of the Medicare savings in the budget would be achieved by reducing the annual update in federal payments to hospitals [especially teaching hospitals], nursing homes, hospices, ambulances and home care agencies.
So I guess the plan is that the elderly and the poor are supposed to wait until their health has critically failed to go to ERs that won't exist because hospitals will fail without proper reimbursement, which will solve the problem of the doctor shortage since there won't be there any place for them to practice. I don't know if Bush has come up with one of those pithy Orwellian names for this proposal, but I think I'm going to call it the Genocide Budget. I can't think of more accurate description.

[cross-posted to The Reaction]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't think of more accurate description."
Neither can I; I think you've said it all. This adminstration can't clear out of the White House fast enough for me.

12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm starting to wonder if Bush's higher father isn't P.T. Barnum. I can't wait until they find the egress either.

1:30:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm angry enough to spit nails as the old saw goes. I wish the SOB and all his evil cronies would resign tomorrow.

2:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home