Monday, January 14, 2008

What a drag it is getting old...

By Libby

Somehow I let a whole day slip away from me. I've been posting a bit at Detroit in advance of the primary and at Newshoggers but otherwise I didn't get around to blogging the stories I collected this morning. I've been following odd links and immersing myself in pop culture today.

Avedon put me onto this story about the final season of The Wire. I just figured out why I've never been able to find it. It's on HBO. I haven't subscribed to that level of service since 1976. I don't watch enough TV to pay for premium packages. But the article at least explained what all the fuss is about. The Wire does sound like just the kind of program I could get hooked on. I suppose I'll make an effort to watch it on DVD someday.

I also visited Gawker for the first time today and a few other gossip sites whose names I've already forgotten. It was a little depressing to figure out how out of touch I am. I had no idea who 80% of the people they're talking about are or what they do. I mean who the hell is Paul Rudd or that vampire woman Panky or Pinky and why should I care? Moreover, why are the people who catch a glimpse of them on the street so excited?

I guess I'm just an old fogey now. I didn't find it all that interesting. I was much more entertained by this old Gerald Boing Boing cartoon that Lester sent me.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Oh, I dunno - I kind of think it's silly to feel marginalized because you don't know what the adolescents are downloading these days or who their heroes are. Pop culture is all about kids because kids are dumb enough to buy the trash we sell them.

8:22:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

True enough Fogg. I'm not going to let it ruin my life.

10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McBoing boing not boing boing. also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZI9bQ0cxA

^1927 Berlin parties

10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home