Saturday, March 22, 2008

Why I was right about Iraq

By Libby

Pure clairvoyance. Today Jim Henley says he was right because he's so smart. Can't argue with that. He's a really smart guy, a whole lot smarter than me, but I'm still one up on him because I was so far ahead of the curve on this one. I predicted this disaster in 2000.

Okay, I didn't predict Iraq specifically but in September 2000, I predicted that Bush would cause an unprecendented foreign disaster. My big mistake was in underestimating the gullibility of the electorate. I didn't push early enough to defeat Bush because I couldn't believe anybody in their right mind would actually vote for him.

I wasn't a huge fan of Al Gore. I didn't like the Clintons all that much either and it had nothing to do with all the manufactured scandals. I never liked the whole politics of triangulation thing. I think it was pretty big factor in changing the Democratic brand to GOP lite. I saw Gore as an extension of that mindset.

Nonetheless, I certainly voted for him. In the end, as I started telling people much too late, it comes down to manners. Gore was an infinitely better statesman. There was no comparison between the two. Bush had, and still has, no social graces. His self-absorption was painfully evident. I can't remember my exact words, but I said something the lines of, if you elect this man, he is going to cause an international incident of such great magnititude that it could lead to an armed conflict.

I come from a long line of women who are to varying degrees, clairvoyant. My sister and my mom tend more towards the predictive than me. They dream things that later happen. I usually lean to the empathic side of the skill. I tend to read the past. I'll meet a stranger at a party and tell them something about themselves that I shouldn't know. It usually freaks us both out a little.

But with Bush I had a strong vision of the future. I knew he was going to cause a major disaster. Unfortunately, I didn't foresee just how huge it would be or I might worked a little harder to defeat him back then when all this could have prevented. One of my very few regrets in life is that I didn't.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

check your link. I can't get it to work.

8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Must have been a temporary glitch. I think that site does it once in a while. It's a dot.com. I don't know who hosts that one. But I just checked and it worked now.

Thanks for the heads up though.

9:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home