Sunday, May 25, 2008

For Ann Jo

By Libby

I don't usually respond to trolls, especially when they show up late to a thread. I ignored Ann Jo when she left a comment on my Baghdad post for that reason and because Fogg dispatched her wankery so beautifully. But I just stumbled across this from Thoreau that sums up my feelings on those that would continue to pretend we did the Iraqi people some kind of big favor by invading and occupying their country. Here's the money graf.

This is hardly news, but it bears repeating: Baghdad has little electricity, little running water, decrepit streets, and no garbage pickup. But it wasn’t like this before the invasion!

Just think about that: The basic services of life, things that we take for granted, and things that Baghdadis used to take for granted, are impossible. And they’re impossible because we went there and replaced an awful but functional system with bloody chaos.

It outrages me more than I can describe that there are still apologists for this. It outrages me more than I can describe that there are people who can look at this and say “Yep, we sure made the right choice there!” And it outrages me more than I can describe that the people who look at this and see no evil are actually taken seriously.
Read the rest and get the links at Thoreau's post.

To be clear, Ann Jo, no it wasn't utopian but it was predictable and for most ordinary people, if they avoided Saddam's wrath, they enjoyed a reasonably comfortable life and felt secure in their own neighborhoods. They don't have that now.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger expatbrian said...

I think most right wingers know that the whole Iraqi debacle was a mistake. How could they not? They would have to be complete imbeciles or deaf and blind. No, I think they know but simply cannot bring themselves to admit their error on this or any of the other host of problems and mistakes made by their chosen party and administration.

7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

People believe what they need to believe to avoid the painful truth. An amazing number of those who have lost sons and husbands and mothers and brothers need to think it was all worthwhile and that the fallen are sacrifices to the Freedom gods rather than to Cheney and the rest of the neocon pantheon.

I forgot to point ot to Ann Jo or whatever she calls herself that it was the US that gave Saddam tacit permission to invade Iraq and yes, indeed Saddam did afterwards dismantle his nuclear program.

But you can't argue with a crazy person, can you?

11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Brian, I agree. It seems that many people just can't admit they made a mistake.

Fogg, you certainly can't convince a crazy person, but you always do a stellar job of taking them down to size.

11:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home