Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Common Sense Republican

expatbrian

I know. It sounds like an oxymoron. But this is the most sensible commentary on the election and it's probable impact that I have read from either side of the isle.
I'm a lifelong Republican - a supply-side conservative. I worked in the Reagan White House. I was the chief economist at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for five years. In 1994, I helped write the Republican Contract with America. I served on Bob Dole's presidential campaign team and was chief economist for Jack Kemp's Empower America.

This November, I'm voting for Barack Obama.
Larry Hunter offers up a brief but down to earth, reasonable argument for his decision to switch sides for the good of the country. I like it and I think it's well worth a read by repubs and dems alike. It's about time that we crawled out of our political party boxes and started thinking about what is ultimately the best for the nation at this absolutely critical point in time.
These past eight years, we have spent over a trillion dollars on foreign soil - and lost countless lives - and done what I consider irreparable damage to our Constitution.

If economic damage from well-intentioned but misbegotten Obama economic schemes is the ransom we must pay him to clean up this foreign policy mess, then so be it. It's not nearly as costly as enduring four more years of what we suffered the last eight years.
Here here. Read it. Pass it on.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nice catch Brian. And I don't think common sense Republican is an oxymoron. I know a lot of them myself. The trouble is the crazy ones who call themselves Republicans make all the noise, so people forget I think that they're not all like that.

8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home