Monday, February 16, 2009

Brain food

Nate Silver posts on the two "progressivisms," rational and radical. It takes a while to digest so I'm not going to say much more than I don't really fit completely into either category. Which is kind of the story of my life. I may have more to say about this one, after I've thought about it for a while.

The fringe right is putting words in Obama's mouth to argue a point Obama didn't really make about the economy.

Scott's piece at Harpers about Gitmo literally made me want to vomit. I mean I reached for the wastebasket. Why did we let this happen? We should have been marching and banging pots on the streets in protest.

Meanwhile, the 'professional' reporters are still freaking out that Sam Stein, showed them up by asking the best question at the press conference where the President called on a "mere blogger" for the very first time. The pros asked about ARod and steroids. Sam asked about prosecuting war criminals. I know which one I found more important. I suspect I'm not the only one.

This last link from the UK's Times. I've never heard of Bryan Appleyard before. Judging from the clues here I'm guessing he's a tiresome, self-satisfied prig, and a creationist to boot. But I'm linking to his 100 best blogs because I've never heard of most of them, a few sounded interesting, and I want to archive the post. If you check any of them out, please leave your reviews.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Appleyard said...

Who are you calling self-satisfied?

5:56:00 AM  
Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
Considering the fact that most "newsmen" & women are former jocks or cheerleaders, sportscasters and weather-persons with no journalistic training or experience, given to reproducing government hand-outs and corporate publicity releases verbatim, I think their whole take on the "blogosphere" is a bit, um, suspect? It stinks of the desperation of airhead corporate a-holes who know they're not worth their six & seven-figure salaries, and that their bosses are beginning to realize it, too.

Who among us humble bloggers couldn't do a better job for a fraction of their boodle and all of their resources?

I'm sending Rupert Murdoch your URL, Libby. Get your hair laminated, in case he calls.
.

7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Bryan. The danger of the internets. One can't make an offhand comment without getting caught. I suspect you might find me to be a tiresome aging hippie.

LOL Cosa. Please do. I could use a job but I doubt he'd hire me. The DFH thing, you know.

8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I haven't had time to check out his bloggery, but he may be the only other person I know who's actually watched Andrey Rublyov

9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

No idea who that is Fogg. Is that good or bad?

10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Andrey Rublyov is an old Russian movie about a monk who invents a lighter than air flying - um - thing. Personally I think it's right up there with Plan 9 from Outer Space, but some people call it a classic.

OK, so now there are three people here who know about it!

1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Wow. I may have to rethink my assessment of Bryan if he's a fan of esoteric sci-fi of uncertain value. Can't be all bad.

2:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home