Friday, February 13, 2009

Forget the Fairness Doctrine

I see the Democrats are finally validating the wingnut paranoia and making some noise about resurrecting the Fairness Doctrine. I've been saying for a while that I thought that was a good idea but I've thought about it since and I think it's a waste of time. I don't think it will work.

When the Fairness Doctrine was abolished we still had about 50 independent media organizations disseminating the news. We're now down to six conglomerates who control the information chain. Even with a Fairness Doctrine, the media moguls would just give the opposing views the worst time slots so it wouldn't have the desired counterbalancing effect. I'm thinking now, the answer is to simply break up the conglomerates. I don't see any other effective way to combat the profit driven pollution of the public discourse.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That, and it sounds like one of those Orwellian names that the Bush administration gave to all their programs.

10:07:00 PM  
Blogger (O)CT(O)PUS said...

Why not have it both ways: 1. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine AND 2. Grind up the conglomerates into fish food.

2:03:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey DLB. It does sound a bit Orwellian, although there was a time when these things meant what they said.

8pus, that's a good idea. I doubt if we'll see either happen, unfortunately.

10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home