Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Giovanni Schiaparelli

There are things I loathe and fear about Google, but I love their little obscure memorials.
In 1890, Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli drew this map of Mars. Today, on his 174th birthday, we are excited to include his work with many other new features for Mars in Google Earth.



Granted this is just a promo for their latest gimmick, but I find it just astounding that in my lifetime we went from orbiting a chimpanzee around the earth to orbiting Mars with a satelite that sends back enough real data to create a virtual replica of the planet.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Funny how one's perspective changes.

My Grandfather was born the year after the phonograph was patented and in the year the Edison incandescent light bulb was patented. My parents were born before radio broadcasting and when the known universe was only our galaxy.

To my middle-aged kids, the middle ages was the time when cell phones were really large.

2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Technology moves at an astonishing pace.

4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home