Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Myth of the self-made man

Not sure why I bother to engage my critics who are never in a million years going to admit they're wrong. I suppose I have this absurd optimism that someday, I'll evoke a Helen Keller breakthrough -- like when she finally gets the concept of water. But since I spent way too long answering the last comment, let me link to the thread wherein guys who probably don't make over $40K a year will zealously defend the top 1% of wealthholders as if they were one of them.

I've never actually investigated the backgrounds of the top 14 on Forbes list, and not to denigrate their intelligence or the work they put into their companies, but self-made seems a bit of a stretch when all but one comes from well-to-do and/or well connected families and went to the best schools money can buy. I don't suggest you read the whole tiresome thread but if you're curious, my summary of the advantages they had in getting where they are today is near the top right now. I for instance, never knew that Warren Buffet's dad was a Congressman.

On a related note, WaPo had a long piece on the high cost of being poor. Most people have no idea what it's like to live in real poverty. This piece didn't really explore the working poor aspect enough. They make just a little too much money to get government assistance but not enough to get ahead. It's a contributing factor to keeping people on welfare that is too little noticed.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home