Sunday, October 25, 2009

So long Soupy, and thanks for all the pies

I'm late in marking the passing of one of my very favorite childhood icons, Soupy Sales. They don't make television like that anymore. Of course as a kid, I didn't really appreciate the double entendres so much, but being a bit precocious I did get there was a certain naughty undertone to the whole deal. Which was no doubt, part of the attraction.

I adored all the running gags and regular characters on the show but if the truth be told, Pookie was always my very favorite. Who wouldn't love a puppet that did stuff like this:



I didn't know he started out as a noontime show in Detroit, but that may be why DetNews had the best obit. The multimedia links on the sidebar are worth a view too. That's where I got the graphic and the youtube for this post.

Even though the show has been off the air for years now, I'm really going to miss Soupy all the same. They don't make performers like him anymore.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home