Friday, October 09, 2009

Warring about the Peace Prize

If you can stomach it, there is a whole page of reaction at Memeorandum about Obama having received the Nobel Peace prize. The wingnuts are responding as one might expect with anger, mockery and revulsion. The media is busy telling us what it all means, offering unsolicited advice and the usual concern trolling about how this is going to affect his agenda. A surprising number of lefties are also buying into the "what has he done to deserve it" theme.

I did a long post at DetNews so all I'm going to say here is, change is one of those things that is hard to see when you're living in it. It's kind of like raising a child. When you're with them every day, you don't notice the little changes, but when the faraway relatives show up for a visit they're astounded at how much your little tyke has grown.

Yes, I know that we're still stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm not happy about it either, but I thinking it's probably harder to end a war than it is to start one. Especially wars begun premised on lies, with no clearly identified enemy or exit strategy and aren't even actually so much wars as military occupations. Particularly when one also entered office with an economy on the brink of total failure, an opposition party intent on fomenting civil discord, a media that encourages triviality and an agenda that includes making major social changes such as universal health insurance.

As I said at DetNews, anybody that thinks they can solve all those problems in ten months should run for president and show us how easily it's done. Otherwise, all I'm going to say is congratulations Mr. President. I, for one, am glad to have a president who works so hard instead of one that complains being the leader of the free world is such hard work.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Anonymous Larkspur said...

Thank you, thank you, Libby. I was starting to feel like a dweeb for being proud of the president. No, no, I take that back. No dweebishness, just a little rush of cognitive dissonance. It is such an unfamiliar concept: "proud of the president of the United States". I didn't know I'd ever feel that way, but darn, I do.

Yes, part of it is because of wingnut pundit head explosions, but a lot of it is a sort of gratitude. It's like Europe hasn't given up on us completely. They get that it's hard to shovel out from underneath the last administration. They recognize that even though we are very troubled, as a nation, enough of us decided to take a chance on someone different from who we've been bullied into trusting (especially since 9-11). It also helps me to remember that the rest of the world wants us to not be so insane. They don't fucking care about Kenyan birth certificates. They want to know about missiles and diplomacy and cooperation. So yeah, lots of work to do, but Obama raised his hand and said he'd try, despite following up our biggest presidential disaster ever.

So for today, anyway, I'll let somebody else analyze the historical and geopolitical implications. And as to whether the Nobel Peace Prize is appropriate - oh, they can ask someone else. Or, alternatively, they can bite me. Today I'm just all "Yay!"

7:42:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Me too Larkspur. It would have been so cool if everyone woke up this morning and just said, Wow, our President won the Nobel Peace prize. Isn't that great?

10:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Larkspur said...

All I am saying, is give the Nobel Peace Prize a chance.

Hey, Libby. I have had one glass of wine. I am not drunk. So you must believe me when I say I loves you and I wish you a very fine and comfy weekend.

11:23:00 PM  
Anonymous limo said...

I am interested to read in Libby and larkspur's comments more than blog post... i read your comments two times .. and larkspur you give a deserving answer..like it.

3:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Aw, that's so nice of you Larkspur. Same to you.

10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Once again some bogus "controversy" is being used to sidetrack any actual attempt to do anything about fixing anything. It's so much easier than defending a quarter century of Republican failure.

3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

These people are just nuts Fogg. Oh the horror. Our President won the Nobel Peace prize. We're doomed.

5:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home