Saturday, December 05, 2009

Post Party Depression

No, I'm not really depressed but I am a little worn out today. I wasn't quite ready for it -- I really needed a day to rest -- but an old friend happened to be driving through town and wanted to stop by and see me. Haven't seen him in almost two years so of course I said yes and then madly spent a few hours shoving all the loose stuff in the living room into the closets and trying to make the place somewhat habitable for company. It was a great visit but I didn't get much sleep so I did my long form posting at Detroit News today and I'm begging off this evening with yet another linkfest.

It's been way too long since I dropped into the Swash Zone and I couldn't pick just one post to highlight. Just start at the top and keep scrolling. They've got everything covered there from good news on jobs by Rocky, to some prime snark from Capt Fogg on the latest wingnut craziness to a brilliant pushback on the so-called "Climategate" kerfuffle from that daring denizen of the deep, Octopus.

This photo is likely to piss you off. The plate belongs to Morgan Stanley Vice-Chairman Rob Kindler. I'll leave the acerbic commentary to Taibbi.

Somebody call Obama and tell him to hire Steve as the czar of solutions. This short guide to fixing everything is brilliant.

Phila resurfaces with another prime edition of Friday Hope Blogging. Plenty more than this there, so click over to read the whole thing, but I especially liked this news.
A library in Ames, IA will continue to carry Sex, Etc., a magazine comprising sex ed info written by and for teens.
Free copies of a sex-education magazine for teens will still be available at the Ames Public Library despite a petition to have them removed.

The library board voted 6-1 Thursday to continue offering Sex, Etc., which is published three times a year by Rutgers University.
And this link to French children's books of the 40s has some stunning graphics.

Watertiger has the squee of the day. These kittens on a slide are just too cute.

And the year's most amazing science images are just as billed -- amazing. I never get over how far we've advanced in space travel in my lifetime. Kind of wish I was young again, because I think in the next 50 years, a Star Trek type Federation of space travelers is likely to happen. I'll of course be gone by then.

Meanwhile, I hope to get back to more regular blogging tomorrow after a good night's sleep. [Graphic via Ateigen Studio]


[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

I really expect to see a Handicapped tag dangling from that car's rearview mirror.

9:55:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Do they give handicapped tags for being another victim of suburban execudroid semiotics? Uninformed Pretentiousness Syndrome?

I'll bet he wears a Rolex too -- maybe an open shirt with some gold chains?

11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm afraid you're both right. What gall really.

12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home