Friday, February 19, 2010

All healthcare politics are local

After living her efor five years, I've finally begun to take an interest in the local politics. They're not quite as dismal as I thought. This guy, NC house candidate Marcus Brandon isn't in my district, but I like the way he thinks about health insurance reform.
Brandon has promised that if he is elected, the first piece of legislation he will introduce will be the "North Carolina Healthcare Act" which will provide universal single-payer healthcare to every citizen of the state.

Brandon says that he remains a supporter of national single-payer healthcare and will continue lobbying for passage of HR 676, Congressman John Conyers' bill:

"The HR 676 fight is definitely not over, but we must now strategically shift the focus to the state level. When other states see that we can cut the cost of healthcare, streamline our medical industry, and still provide universal coverage to all North Carolinians, then all of the sudden, single-payer health care doesn't look so bad."
Hope he wins. Meanwhile, deadline to file is today and I just discovered last night that my district, along with 18 others, doesn't even have a Democratic candidate running. Also recently discovered that the local GOP website is kicking the Dems butt. Their website is pathetic. Thinking I may have discovered why the universe sent me to this place. These folks need some serious help in organizing.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. Little correction: The filing deadline is not today. The filing deadline is NEXT Friday (Feb 27).

4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

Thinking I may have discovered why the universe sent me to this place. These folks need some serious help in organizing.

Yes!!! This is what I keep telling liberals. We must INFILTRATE the red states, not run away from them!

10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks for the info anon. Unfortunately, I haven't been here long enough or I would file myself just to get a Dem on the ballot.

Hey SoBeale. I do think that's one way we're going to build tolerance and change minds.

12:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home