Monday, October 11, 2010

Big Blogiversary for Andrew Sullivan

I am not one of the Very Important Bloggers who was invited to roast or toast Andrew Sullivan's tenth blogiversary. But hey, the internets are free, so I'll congratulate him on hitting this milestone tomorrow. In blog years, ten is practically forever. It's an accomplishment well worth celebrating.

For his part, Sullivan reflects on the blog's history at length today. For myself, I've never been a faithful reader. However, like all of the other responses I've read so far, I've had a love/hate thing going with him for years. Back when he was the darling of the right, spinning his defenses of Bush and his ill-begotten wars, I used to spit out his name like an epithet, as in -- that fucking idiot Sully. I was slow to warm to him once he saw the light, suspicious of his conversion. But as the years passed I came to appreciate his work. His posts on torture alone earned him a place in my heart.

I'll probably never be the sort of fan that checks in religiously to see what's on his mind. To this day there are still times when I'll catch a post and say WTF is he thinking? But just as often I'll think, right on, that needed to be said and I'm glad the guy with the big megaphone is saying it.

I've never thought of him as particularly eloquent. He's never left me breathless with an elegant turn of phrase as say my pals Capt. Fogg and Lance Mannion often do. I don't find him subtle or witty. I would describe him as relentless, prolific, endearingly conversational and most of all courageously honest.

But whatever else can be said, it can't be denied that Andrew is an original voice and a true internet phenomenon. I'll raise a glass to toast his tenth year and wish him another decade of success.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol Gee said...

Libby, this is an especially well written piece. Re Sullivan, you express many of the reactions I have often had. Your writing is subtle and very interesting.

9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Thank you, Libby. A complement from you is to be treasured.

My blog's 5th slipped by as unnoticed as the blog itself but I doubt I'll be able to care enough to make ten years because this will still be as confused and ignorant and unintelligent country as it ever has been. There's too much at stake to allow the people to govern themselves wisely.

10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Carol. Appreciate the props since Sully obviously ignored my little tribute.

Fogg, I only wish I could write a fraction as well as you do. I'll be very sad if you're not around for at least the next ten years.

5:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home