Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Palin's Pogrom

Breaking my Palin embargo, but not to pile on about her tasteless use of "blood libel" to criticize the media for criticizing her. I'm pretty sure she's so uninformed she had no idea about the genesis of the phrase and simply used it because others already did and she liked the sound of it. But since I forced myself to read about Palin's latest gibberish, I'll address a couple of other points.
Ms. Palin quoted former President Ronald Reagan as saying that society should not be blamed for the acts of an individual. She said, “It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
That is unless the individual in question repeatedly engages in hate speech and violent gun related imagery. Can't be held accountable for that. She has the right to take wild potshots from behind an impenetrable screen. But if anyone points out she's missed her mark, why that's persecution of her free speech. First Amendment baby. No dirty libruls or lamestream media may apply.

No reason to temper the vitrolic rhetoric either.
“We will not be stopped from celebrating the greatness of our country and our foundational freedoms by those who mock its greatness by being intolerant of differing opinion and seeking to muzzle dissent with shrill cries of imagined insults,” she said.
Wait, is she talking about us here, or about her own substantial contribution to creating this climate of hate in which violent ideation thrives? Of course, she doesn't worry about the violence because she's taking her shots from the safety of an undisclosed video studio, in front of a camera, not a live audience.

In fact, does anyone remember the last time she appeared at an unscripted event where she might have to answer questions that weren't pre-screened? I honestly can't. I mean, if she thinks it's so safe out here with the "real 'Murkans" that she enjoys inciting to anger with her garbled "dissents," why does she never exercise her precious free speech rights in open public forums?

And one last thing. After her numerous "jokes" about Obama, one has to wonder if she used a teleprompter for her latest offal offering? Seems likely since I didn't hear she was reading her little diatribe off her hand.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

"We will not be stopped from celebrating the greatness of our country"

Not by history, truth or decency itself or the mass murder, genocide, theft, deception, slavery, segregation, needless wars, questionable conquests, toppled democracies, sponsored tyrants, torture of prisoners or the children we let die unnecessarily from sheer, self-righteous parsimony and love of profit. We're just above all that unpatriotic truth.

God damn Sarah Palin. Say it softly and it's almost like praying. If there be two hundred gods or ten thousand, I pray they all damn her.

For today she shall be lifted up and to morrow she shall not be found, because she is returned into her dust, and her thought is come to nothing.

-I Macabees 2:63-

3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Can't quite bring myself to pray for her eternal damnation Fogg. Figure she's doing a pretty good job of guaranteeing that herself. But so eloquently put, as always.

6:26:00 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn said...

Awesome Blog!!!

I’ve been looking through your blog over the past few days and I found your blog to be very interesting.

Your Postings are really exceptional. I love your blog because of its unique content and valuable information. It is an example of perfect blog. It makes me wonder how to make my blog different. I think i should also start learning how to maintain a blog from you. Your blog is simple yet powerful.

I have added your link in my blog http://denbarblog.blogspot.com/ under "My Friend's Blogroll" Section, so that my blog visitors could also enjoy reading through your blog.

Kindly visit my blog. And if you like my blog, please link back. I would be glad if my blog is referred by wonderful blog like yours.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Hope u too would like my blog...:)

12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Marcellina said...

Crooked Timber has a post up quoting a commenter who said that Palin "represents a new phenomenon. Instead of trolling a message board or blog comments, she’s trolling an entire nation."

Having seen how an internet troll can bring down a comments board pretty successfully, this resonated with me. Indeed, the nation has responded pretty much like an internet forum, getting obsessed with her every word, defending her/mocking her, allowing her to take over the discussion and essentially derail the original one. It's a shame to watch, but it's pretty clear that neither the media nor the blogosphere can get enough of her.

9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I've been griping about this for a long time Marcellina. I started a personal embargo on posting about her that I rarely break. I won't even click on anything with Palin in the title as rule, on the premise that if it doesn't drive traffic, they won't cover it.

Sadly, few have joined me. The media and to a large extent Blogtopia react to her every tweet as if it means something simply because people will read it.

10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Marcellina said...

Well, I'll join you then. There are so many other worthwhile things to blog about!

2:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home