Saturday, February 19, 2011

Working poor

Haven't posted in the last couple of days because I've been picking up extra shifts at work. Ironically even though I've had a total of two days off in the last five weeks, I still didn't make enough money to pay all the bills. This is a "right to work" state. I'm discovering this means employers have the right to work you nearly to death for the lowest wage legally possible.

I have been following the news but I've been so overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the crazy, and so exhausted from dealing with the cranky public every day, that I just haven't been able to organize my thoughts. Early shift today and tomorrow off unless they offer me a pick-up shift, so hoping to catch up this weekend.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger TDC said...

Libby Spencer wrote in part " This is a "right to work" state. I'm discovering this means employers have the right to work you nearly to death for the lowest wage legally possible."

First I hope that you can find better employment soon, or a promotion with your current employer

However your situation is more influenced by the state of the economy, not that your state is a right to work state. When times are really good and labor is in short supply, wages/benefits go up. The converse is true in a recession.

If you really believe your problems are due to "right to work legislation" feel free to move to the Mitten. No "right to work". STRONG unions, etc...

The only bad part..the UE rate is 11.7%

-tdc

6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that in this cases we have to use our imagination and creativity to find out another way to live. To live to work or to work to live? In many cases, we spend a lot of money and energy to have things and goods that we don't really need. But if we can't do in another way, you can do like me: Take a second job for one year or more and spare the money to start your own company. Believe me, I start to do that when I was 40 with 4 children and a wife and the only thing that I regret is just that I didn't start to do that before.
Good luck!

1:14:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Jaio, what kind of company did you start?

7:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home