Saturday, June 18, 2011

You say you want an evolution -Updated

These's a lesson for actvists of all causes here. Attitudes evolve over time and society eventually reflects those changes. This was all over the internets but it's so rare to hear a Republican stand up like this, it's worth archiving and deserves quote of the week:
“You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f—- it, I don’t care what you think. I’m trying to do the right thing.” ~ Sen. Roy McDonald (R-Saratoga)
He's talking about a bill to authorize same-sex marriage that went on to pass by quite a hefty margin in the New York State Senate. Sen. McDonald bravely changed his vote from no to yes.

I'd also remind impatient progressives that it was only as far back as 2004 when Bush successfully managed to squeak out a second term in large part because the GOPers were able to use fear of gay marriage as a wedge issue.

Update: I swear I read somewhere that this bill already passed but now I'm seeing lots of reports that it's still in the negotiation phase. Last I heard, GOPers were trying to keep it off the floor altogether. But still -- progress.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home