Sunday, September 25, 2011

We might have had greatness

While I sometimes think she's being too harsh on Obama, I'm a long time fan and always consider what she has to say because she's one of the smartest political analysts on the internets. Today, Avedon responds to Melissa Harris-Perry on the latest iteration of "they hate him because they're racists" in an unusually lengthy post. Read it in full, but Avedon nails the roots of the enthusiam gap right here:
I do not believe that it was "not the time" to elect a black liberal as president. I think it would have been a terrific time to elect a black liberal as president, in fact. Yes, the right-wing would have said all the same crazy things they're saying now, but at least, if Obama had actually been one, elected with his overwhelming mandate, I believe he could have been a great president - one who actually did the work that needed doing instead of continuing to reverse us back to the 13th century. A black liberal, standing up to people who were and are hurting the nation, could have welcomed their hatred and been proud of being called the enemy of people of such caliber. A proud black liberal president could have saved the country and perhaps even earned the respect of some people who thought a black president would not help them.
This is exactly what I hoped would happen when Obama was elected. However, I didn't expect it, so perhaps that explains why I'm less disappointed in small successes than most of the liberals I know and respect. Yet it is heartbreaking to reflect on what could have been, if only Obama had been the kind of leader I had hoped for, instead of the one I was pretty sure were going to get and voted for anyway, because, worse alternatives.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger merlallen said...

I mostly voted for him because I knew the teabaggers would freak out.

2:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mule Breath said...

Libby, you offer the most interesting stuff.

5:41:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Pissing people off isn't really a motivator for me, but LOL merallen.

Thanks for the encouragement Mule Breath. Appreciate it.

7:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If only" doesn't get anybody anywhere. I hope that the Republicans come to their senses someday and realize what they are doing. I hope China will become thoughtful, beneficent nation as it becomes the number one superpower in the world. I hope we turn the climate crisis around in time. I know these are hopes only.
But the anger we see on the left goes further than simple disappointment — it is almost that of a jilted lover. The expectations were simply too high for any human to fill.

Marcellina

10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I think that nails it Marcellina. Unreasonable expectations. Funny, I was just thinking this morning that I often heard my lefty friends demanding Obama do things they would have condemned if a GOP president was doing it.

Not to say there aren't many places to criticize when a Dem prez continues GOP policies.

1:51:00 PM  
Blogger merlallen said...

I don't really expect much from government, I figure it at least be entertaining.

2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Oh, it's entertaining all right - if you loved the Roman circus, you'll love Washington: the blood, the screaming. . .

9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home